Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A look through the lens

     Greetings. Seeing as this is the first post off this new blog, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read this. I have not written anything other than music and poetry for a while now but over time an insatiable hunger to write and speak out has been gnawing at the walls of my belly and it now seems quite apparent that something wants to come out. 

     Recently, we had Kenyans on twitter putting MPs in their place about their contentious bonus issue. I applaud all those who let the strength of their voices echo through social media and into the ears of the masses. As I was scrolling through the tweets, I could tell that there was a genuine sense of distress from the citizens of this great republic. I could almost see those incensed marching even before they did. I knew a shaking was on the rise. 

     All this time a question was raging from within me: who is the enemy we as a country are fighting? The strange thing is I thought I had always known this answer. I was cemented in the belief that it was the police, the corporate world, MPs, etc.  It had to be. The impunity in our institutions as devolved from the seat of power was a rot in our once healthy bones and decay in the marrow of our nation. As a result, someone has to take the blame. From my myopic viewpoint, I thought that individuals and systems were the problem. The people in power had misused us for so long that it simply had to be power that was the poison. If this theory I had (and that most of us have) is to be held as true, we are then robbed of every ounce of hope as power is a constant even in a world lacking politicians. 

     So what is the problem? Well, if you may allow me to chisel out the truth, I shall do my best. We are all born fallible. In the journey of life, we pick up individual traits that are selfish, defiant, malicious, and just to call a spade a spade; sinful. We believe that the fight is everywhere else apart from within us. Recalling a conversation I had a year ago, I engaged a young man visiting Kenya with the question ‘what is your reason to wake up every morning?’ He told me that he lives to ensure everything in the world becomes better. As noble as this sounded, it had a problem. I replied to his answer with another question: ‘so if everything in the world becomes amazing, you will no longer have a reason to wake up?’ It seemed that if everything in the world was better, everything in him would be as well. Who would have vanquished our internal struggles? Slightly puzzled but considerably excited, my friend immediately understood that truly there had to be something deeper than what is without us. Using this as a reference point, I shall cease my digression and return to the matter at hand. 

     The biggest problem we face as a people is our self. The biggest giant facing us as a people is indeed our character. The politicians are not to blame due to their position as the biggest hindrance in leadership is a character problem and not a positional problem. The fastest way to rectify this is to take responsibility as an individual. We will never be able to move forward as a people if individually we are tolerating stagnation and a scapegoat culture in our lives. We need to cut off all the traits within us that bring our country to shame. It starts with us. Corruption, tribalism, impunity and any other ailment to our nation are not just in the people visibly doing the action, but in the mind that secretly condones the act. Each one of us has to turn the pitchforks to our character flaws so that by the time we are turning them on others, we may have the capacity to be an example to our leaders. 

     So my friends, both new and old, I beseech you, let us stop flaunting our skin as if it is flawless knowing very well that our bones and marrow are rotting. If we want good leadership, we must start in our homes, our friendships and all the other ‘little things’ that we overlook. We simply must. Finally, I know both the problem and the solution. I have not been a good man but I have to become a better man, for the sake of my generation. What will you choose to do? It all begins with us.

12 comments:

  1. Awesome can't wait to read some more
    Peace n Love
    xo-Soulfy-xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its powerful and true what you say. MP's if those of us who complain were given their position would do worse if not the same. They are humans and interestingly a representation of Kenyans. In order to change the world outside we need to first look within.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Arnold, thank you for reading this. I pray that we truly learn there is no weakness in admitting we need help from an individual level so as to be better people. If this becomes our culture, then leadership will have honesty and accountability and most of all, the blessings from God so as to rule with vision and purpose.

      Delete
  3. the MPs are also partly a reflection of ourselves; just a richer,greedier version of most Kenyans coz the fact that we approved them to get into power also means most people approve of their ideals...so as Kenyans we should first remove the plank in our own eyes before seeing the speck in the eyes of others!
    gud stuff bro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Bryan, they are simply a reflection, to say the least. It would be very strange to look in a mirror and not see a reflection and stranger still to look in one and see somebody else. They reflect us as a people and if we want to see the right reflection, the right person should be the one staring through the mirror. Thanks for reading and commenting bro. Let's keep this up.

      Delete
  4. I have always held the view that what we see at the top is a reflection of what's happening at the bottom(in our homes,schools,friendships n what have you)and bro,you just put it as it is.
    Change wont be brought by the politicians,change begins with us...that Kenyan boarding an overloaded matatu,that driver bribing a cop,that parent bribing for a child to be accepted at a school...we need to check our values first before we criticize the guys in the August house.
    Afterall,its about us not them.
    Good work bro!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said bro, that is very true. I hope we can be examples for this generation and those that follow.

      Delete
  5. Great read, very well put. & Oh how so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. I hope it starts a chain reaction of introspection that will inevitably lead to us being better people even for the generations that follow.

      Delete
  6. I would love it if this were followed by a how-to guide on being the better Man. As a stand-alone it seems pretty idealistic. But I always say a problem is well on its way to being solved once it is identified. Good piece. The thought arrangement is nicely organised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bro. Had wanted to do a follow up on that. Just did actually. Hopefully this gets us to look within ourselves even if just for a second. Our work is really to lay foundations. I hope this is one. I'd love for people to build upon moral foundations that are fortified in truth. Thanks for the comment brother.

      Delete